Your Information & Privacy
This document tries to explain in clear English what, how and why we use your data. If you need more information please get in touch.
What are you doing with my data
We use your data to help provide the Sorbet service. The precise things we do depends on the type of relationship you have with us.
If you are a Tenant then we do things like:
- Inform you of upcoming appointments
- Send you copies of important documents
- Recommend services that may help you
If you are a Landlord then we do things like:
- Send you copies of important documents
- Inform you of important activity on your property
If you are a Contractor then we do things like:
- Send you requests for work
- If you choose to participate, we recommend your services to other agents
If you are a Property Manager then we do things like:
- Notify you of things that are important to your job
There are also business and legal purposes that require us to use your data.
If you are a gas contractor we may pass your data to a 3rd party to confirm your accreditation and certifications.
If you are a tenant then a particularly useful example occurs should there be a tenancy deposit dispute. We will send the data we have about the tenancy to the appropriate Tenancy Deposit Scheme at the request of the managing agent.
There are also contractual and legal reasons why we have to contact you.
For example: As a tenant you need to be provided notice should the landlord or their agent require to visit your property. (There are legal and emergency circumstances when this isn’t the case.)
We may also use your data to inform you of things we think may be appropriate to you. If this requires contacting a 3rd party then you will be informed.
How do you collect data about me?
Initially your data is entered in the Sorbet service so that a Property Manager may provide the service they have been contracted to perform on behalf of the Landlord and for the Tenant. This is how you come to be “invited” to use our Apps. From that point on your actions within the system result in data being stored and attributed to you the user.
We also use “analytic” software such as Google Analytics to help us better understand how people use our interfaces. This means that Google stores anonymised information about the user that allows us to perform the analysis.
What data are you storing about me?
Again the precise data depends on the relationship you have with us, however personal details are limited to name, contact details and information about the device you are using.
As a Tenant:
- The majority of the data we store concerns the rental property and the activities that occur during the period of the tenancy. This includes your interactions with the software, such as raising issues. Importantly we record any conversations that are made within the Sorbet service, as well as any photographs you submit as evidence when reporting faults.
As a Landlord:
- We store information about your home address as well as the properties you own
As a Contractor:
- We store additional information concerning your skills and services that you offer. We also store information concerning your interactions with the software, such as creating reports and attending appointments. Importantly we record any conversations that are made within the Sorbet service. We also store a copy of any documents you upload as part of you providing your service E.g. Gas Safe ID card, Certificates
As a Property Manager:
- The majority of the data we store concerns your interactions with software, such as requesting Reports from your contractors. Importantly we record any conversations that are made within the Sorbet service.
All the activity data we store can be seen within our apps via the audit trials that are visible at various appropriate places within the software.
Can I delete my data?
In the vast majority of cases the answer will be no. We are required to keep evidence of the activities that have been carried using our software.
How long will you keep my data?
In the majority of instances we have a legal requirement to store your data after your relationship with the data owner (the Estate Agency). Typical this would be for 8 years.
Do you share my data with other organisations?
We use your data to provide the Sorbet service. Our service means that we keep your data inside Sorbet with the following three major exceptions:
- The managing agents software (see below)
- Once the appointment has been confirmed, the 3rd party contractor and tenant may decide to speak over the phone rather than use the inbuilt messaging.
- The tenant will be prompted to allow their phone number to be visible to the contractor for the duration of the appointment.
- The contractor’s business contact number will be visible to the tenant
- Tenancy Deposit Schemes should there be a dispute and evidence is requested to support a claim
Additionally we may share your data:
- if you ask us or give us your permission to share it, for example:
- to provide you with services through a partner’s platform
We also make use of services provided by 3rd parties, where your data may be used by them to achieve a single purpose on our behalf. Examples include:
- sending emails (SendGrid)
- to confirm information such as
Managing Agents Software
As the primary data controller (a GDPR term) the Managing Agent has been the original source of the personal data contained within Sorbet. This often originates from a piece of software (Property Management Software). We may send the additional data created by Sorbet back to the owner via their Property Management Software. This will include the audit trail of activities and the record of any conversations.
In exceptional circumstances
We may share your information without your permission if we reasonably believe you might be breaking the law and such disclosure is allowed under the relevant laws, including data protection law.
How can I see what information you have about me?
The easiest way is to use the appropriate App. They are designed to be clear, easy to use and present the information in the most consumable way. Where appropriate, it will also allow you to correct this information.
If you no longer have access to the appropriate App get in touch to ask for access or alternatively ask for a copy of your information and have any mistakes corrected. It’s your right under the UK Data Protection Act.
You’ll need to provide two copies of your ID. These can include your:
- Driving licence
- Birth certificate
- Utility bill (from the last three months)
- Current vehicle registration document
- Bank statement (from the last three months)
- Rent book (from the last three months)
To get in touch:
email: [email protected]
Or write to:
Sorbet Data Suite 103 Creative Quarter, Morgans Arcade Cardiff CF10 1AF
Please let us know if you feel we could be clearer in any of the above documentation.
You can still view our traditional Privacy Statement.
Ready to change the way you deal with maintenance and reports?Book a demo